B-4 / The old shop – Norwegian stock house, raised 1734
The building is one of the oldest wooden houses in Greenland, also known as the old shop but also as Poul Egedes house.
The house was raised in 1734, when the colony K’asigianguit was settled in the bay called ‘Bryghusbugten’. On this side of the bay very strong winds made it almost impossible to live so the settlement was moved to the other side of the bay soon after.
B-4 was moved to its current location in 1806 and the building has been used as a shop and material-store.
In 1997, the building became a part of the museum.
Today the building houses the impressive finds from the Saqqaq culture, found in the excavation of an old settlement on the island of Qeqertasussuk.